Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Hebrews 12 part 3

The final installment in my Hebrews 12 notes is below. I appreciate your indulgence since I am not anywhere near a brilliant theologian!

14-17Work at getting along with each other and with God. Otherwise you'll never get so much as a glimpse of God. Make sure no one gets left out of God's generosity. Keep a sharp eye out for weeds of bitter discontent. A thistle or two gone to seed can ruin a whole garden in no time. Watch out for the Esau syndrome: trading away God's lifelong gift in order to satisfy a short-term appetite. You well know how Esau later regretted that impulsive act and wanted God's blessing—but by then it was too late, tears or no tears.

There is a lot to this section. 

Work at getting along with each other and with God. Otherwise you'll never get so much as a glimpse of God. Make sure no one gets left out of God's generosity. 

We are designed to be corporate. We are supposed to work together, live together, and be connected. God designed us that way. I believe that if we are don't allow ourselves to connect, then we do miss all God has for us. Part of God's generosity towards us is each other.

I was talking with a friend the other day about this. It is SO important for us to receive from those who want to give to us. To believe that God is prompting the Body of Christ to bring provision for us. To refuse that gift is to refuse God's generosity towards us. We definitely do NOT want to do that!

Keep a sharp eye out for weeds of bitter discontent. A thistle or two gone to seed can ruin a whole garden in no time.

Oh boy! Yes, this is one you need to be aware of! Bitter discontent can slowly creep up and then all of a sudden, you turn around and it's there! I consistently ask God to show me areas of my life that are places where bitterness, or even just discontent can take root. When they do, I rip 'em out and praise the Lord for His grace and the ability for His healing and forgiveness to wash over me and make me as if it was never there.

Watch out for the Esau syndrome: trading away God's lifelong gift in order to satisfy a short-term appetite. You well know how Esau later regretted that impulsive act and wanted God's blessing—but by then it was too late, tears or no tears.

This is definitely a wake up call!  Especially as I focus on my health and fitness. Do I want to trade away the vital athletic body God designed for me to have on one more chocolate chip cookie that is beyond my calorie allotment? Do I want to push beyond what my body was designed to be and miss out on what God really has for me?

I do not want to face Him someday regretting I did not take every opportunity He gave me, every blessing He wanted to pour out over me, certainly not over too many pieces of pizza, an ice cream sundae or anything else that would be considered an "impulsive" act outside of His provision for me and what my body needs or is designed to be.

Thanks again for reading what I write!

1 comment:

  1. No, Jennifer,... thank you for this post!

    ReplyDelete