Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Preparation...

It's all in how you prepare right?

So many things I can think of involve preparation.
Meals
Activities with three little kids
An evening out with my favorite Man
Getting housework done (with 3 little kids running around)
The list goes on, but you get the idea...

So, as I process last night's blog Floundering, Falling, Failing I need to see some insight from the Bible on how to prepare. Let's face it, if I don't prepare, I will definitely do all of the above!

I was reminded this morning of one of my favorite passages about preparing... Joshua Chapter 1. Moses has just died and God had chosen the next leader, Joshua. This part, in particular resonates in my heart:

3 I will give you every place where you set your foot, as I promised Moses. 4 Your territory will extend from the desert to Lebanon, and from the great river, the Euphrates—all the Hittite country—to the Great Sea [a]5 No one will be able to stand up against you all the days of your life. As I was with Moses, so I will be with you; I will never leave you nor forsake you.
 6 "Be strong and courageous, because you will lead these people to inherit the land I swore to their forefathers to give them. 7 Be strong and very courageous. Be careful to obey all the law my servant Moses gave you; do not turn from it to the right or to the left, that you may be successful wherever you go. 8 Do not let this Book of the Law depart from your mouth; meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do everything written in it. Then you will be prosperous and successful. 9 Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go." 

This is how it speaks to me:
God is instructing Joshua who is now in charge of this gigantic group of, let's face it, not terribly obedient people, to take hold of what God has for them, The Promised Land. God knew what was going on in Joshua's heart, just as He does mine. God tells him what His plan is, and then encourages Joshua in a very specific bit of instruction and blessing.

Personally applied scripture can change your life. It has changed mine. Here is what that looks like:
Jennifer, I will give you every place where you set your foot, as you swim, bike, and run - I promised you I would do this.  No one will be able to stop you all the days of your life because I am teaching you a new way to live, being healthy and fit. As I was with Moses, so I will be with you, Jennifer; I will never leave you nor forsake you. "Be strong and courageous, because you will lead others to inherit the health and fitness I want to give them.  Be strong and very courageous. Be careful to obey all the instructions I provide for you; do not turn from it to the right or to the left, that you may be successful wherever you go. 8 Do not let My Word depart from your mouth; meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do everything written in it. Then you will be prosperous and successful. 9 Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go." 

I understand that this may or may not be theologically an accurate representation of this exact scripture. But one thing I know very well, is that God wants me to apply His Word to my daily journey. This is it. Every morning, every afternoon, every evening, that is my journey. I am not twisting His Words to suit my situation, I am listening to His Spirit, seeking His input for my days and receiving what He shows me to apply. 

I am very well aware others are watching me. I have been so humbled by all who have expressed the blessing of watching me take on this challenge. My heart's desire was not to make a public spectacle of myself on this journey but to walk it out - out in the open - to keep me accountable to what God is asking me to do - among those He has put in my life. 

I continue to pray you will be blessed, not by me,  but by God's heart for YOU on this journey as well. 
He loves us! 

No comments:

Post a Comment