Sunday, May 23, 2010

Satisfied

Are you satisfied?

There seems to be so many things to do with our time and energy these days we don't know how to measure that.
Solomon - such a cheerful fellow (can ya hear the sarcasm?) said this in Ecclesiastes 6:7 "All man's efforts are for his mouth, yet his appetite is never satisfied."

What are my efforts for? When I look at the limitless supply of dishes and laundry to do, the constant need to maintain the cleanliness of my home, feeding my family, getting exercise, snuggling my kids, focusing on the love of  my life and our marriage... seriously it makes a girl's head spin!

After looking up "satisfied" in the New Testament (NIV) I found several verses all referring to Jesus feeding groups of people and they all "ate and were satisfied". And then I came across this verse in Luke 6:
21Blessed are you who hunger now,
      for you will be satisfied.
   Blessed are you who weep now,
      for you will laugh.
After Jesus arrived all who were hungry became satisfied. And in the gospels, there was so much left over after thousands were fed!

The discipline of taking care of all He has given us every day sometimes makes me "weep now" but then He said I will "laugh"! I may hunger now for things I am not to do or eat (both wise and unwise) but He promises "you will be satisfied."

I need to remember when I am "unsatisfied" by what I have accomplished for the day, I need to take it to Him. He is the only One who really knows if I am satisfied or not. I don't even know!

I love this passage. Such a reality check on Who He is and all He has provided for:
Invitation to the Thirsty
 1 "Come, all you who are thirsty,
       come to the waters;
       and you who have no money,
       come, buy and eat!
       Come, buy wine and milk
       without money and without cost.  2 Why spend money on what is not bread,
       and your labor on what does not satisfy?
       Listen, listen to me, and eat what is good,
       and your soul will delight in the richest of fare.
 3 Give ear and come to me;
       hear me, that your soul may live.
       I will make an everlasting covenant with you,
       my faithful love promised to David.

Hear His heart for your satisfaction. I know I am. Soak up His definition of satisfied. Press in to Him for ALL you need. And, without a doubt - You will be satisfied.

No comments:

Post a Comment