Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Where is my Birthday Hangover?

Wow. This year's birthday celebration was so different. The morning started with the familiar old way of thinking... Eeyore style... no need to elaborate there... you know what I am talking about...

Then...I prayed a verse my Mom wrote on one of the tags of the silly socks she sent me (a semi-consistent tradition we both enjoy!) It was Colossians 3:15 "Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, since as members of one body you were called to peace. And be thankful."

It seems like a big DUH to be thankful on your birthday, but the old familiar tapes in my head were playing the same pathetic I wish I was in a different place (fitness level, thinness, emotionally etc.) poor me song.

But - I prayed it in the first person  "God, the peace of Jesus Christ is going to rule my heart today. I am called to peace because I am a member of His Body. I am thankful!"

Within literally 2 minutes I felt the yucky cloud lift and my head clear out the old lies and embrace the truth.

That changed my day. The rest of the day was a delight. Being celebrated by my sons and husband singing happy birthday before Erik went to work, play date in the sunshine at the park, lunch with my husband, some shopping time, making a super yummy dinner for my family, tucking in my little presents, playing Rummikub (a new favorite game for me) and then enjoying some relaxing TV time.

All that also included this sense that God was celebrating my day with me. The peace was so tangible I was completely at rest. I never once felt annoyed at having to wash dishes, make dinner, take care of my family in any way.

The old me always wanted and even at times demanded "princess treatment". Not this year. I felt like a princess. I still do. I truly experienced the fruit of believing in God's love for me and the fullness of heart and spirit that comes with that.

That is why I have no Birthday Hangover - the Let Down you experience when you realize you won't be celebrated for another year... so sad. I am thankful to close the book on that part of my old self. Praise the Lord for His Peace, Love, and Joy that fill me up every day. Birthday or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment