Monday, August 2, 2010

One minute at a time

Some days are just like that.

With some of these workouts I am doing, I start them thinking, "sure, I can do this, I can do anything for thirty minutes, its not that long. I can waste that much time without thinking about it."

And then I start my workout. I walk for the first 5 minutes then jog a minute then walk a minute then jog a minute then stop and do a quick stretch and then I do the interval training. My training program started with run for one then walk one then run two then walk one then run three and walk one then run four then walk one then run five and walk one and TODAY was run six minutes then walk one. For thirty minutes. Sure. No big deal right? YEAH. Duh! I am still at 275lbs. Moving that weight on the treadmill, after biking 12 miles yesterday, was so hard! I made it through the first six minutes without too much trouble. The second (set - I call them that to make them seem more do-able) six minutes was really hard, I could feel every part of my body aching and groaning with the effort. The walking minute between the second and third six minute set was like a blink. I started rationalizing in my head that I could turn the speed down and go a little slower.

But, because I haven't shortened one workout yet. I have set my goals and I plan to achieve them regardless of my comfort at the time, I couldn't bring myself to do it. I HAD to just finish. I had two minutes left on my final six minute run when I made myself look out the window at the gym and RELAX. You see, even though I am in pain, I want to be present in the moment, not just be in a hurry to get it over with. I was in pain, dripping sweat into my eyes bad enough to make them burn, and feeling my heart pounding in my chest. The music playing on my ipod was One Thing by Rich Mullins. If you listen to it you will get into that place where I was, the moment, feet striking the treadmill with purpose, sweat dripping from everywhere, heart pounding out it's beat, mind focused on the PURPOSE of this whole event. Becoming ALL God created me to be.

If we are in the process of that, with goals HE set before us, we KNOW we can do whatever He asks. It is His will. It is His heart for us. It is a moment in time to celebrate the life He has given us. My childhood friend posted on my FB profile "It's not pain, it's a reminder you are still able and alive." I completely agree.

Every kind of pain has it's purpose. Do we let it change and shape us into people who love more, serve more, give more? Or do we allow our pain to wall us away from life, from loving, from serving, from giving. If you are not allowing your pain to change, shape and grow you into who you KNOW you were destined to be I encourage you to take a look at this:

"The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full." - Jesus (John 10:10)

If there is loss, destruction and theft happening to your joy, peace, kindness, generosity, etc. I would suggest that the Thief is at work. The only way to change this - Ask Jesus to come into your life and give you life - the full life He has for you.

One minute could change your life. Pray, to the One who designed you for greatness, for goodness, for generosity and joy. He loves you. He wants you to be free to live. Just take a minute. Ask. He will answer.

No comments:

Post a Comment